The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time.
Applications are being accepted for this position
and you are encouraged to apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting a culture that respects and advances diversity and inclusion.
- Completion of accredited professional nursing program, preferably with BA/BS degree.
- Licensure by the state of Minnesota to practice professional nursing.
- Competency and knowledge of EHR system
- At least two years of increasing responsible professional nursing experience.
- CPR training and recertification every two years.
- Completion of accredited professional nursing program with BA/BS degree.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
- At least two years of increasing responsible professional nursing experience in the emergency room, Internal Medicine/Acute care, or ambulatory outpatient clinical care.
About the Job
General Statement of Responsibilities:
- Mobility to work in a typical clinic setting and use standard equipment.
- Strength and agility to lift up to 25 pounds of force frequently, 50 pounds occasionally.
- Standing, walking and/or sitting for long periods of time.
- Some bending, twisting, stooping, and stretching.
- Operation of a keyboard.
- Possible exposure to communicable disease and medical preparations in the clinic setting.
- Ability to demonstrate immune status to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella and hepatitis B.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
- Ability to push and pull wheelchairs, gurneys, oxygen tanks and IV poles.
The Nurse Manager at Boynton Health (BH) supervises and coordinates nursing services and AFSCME Healthcare staff for clinical areas in gynecology, primary care, and the St. Paul clinic. This position co-manages urgent care staff with the Nurse Manager of civil service employees. The Nurse Manager performs key nursing functions and medical treatments, or delegates those responsibilities to qualified nursing personnel. Assigned responsibilities are carried out in a manner respectful of the rights of patients and staff from diverse populations, and conducive to the efficient, effective delivery of high quality ambulatory care.
Detailed Job Responsibilities:
Maintain a respectful work environment.
- Promote a safe, equitable, and respectful environment in which concerns can be addressed effectively.
Provide direct supervision for AFSCME Healthcare nursing staff in clinical area(s).
- Recruit, hire, and evaluate the performance of nursing personnel.
- Develop and direct the onboarding and training process of new nursing staff.
- Monitor staff performance, ascertain learning needs, provide necessary instruction, and determine if learning needs have been met or if additional training is needed.
- Monitor compliance with annual competency testing for nursing staff
- Delegate patient care functions as appropriate based on nursing staff licensure
- Coordinate/participate in formulation and on-going review of patient care policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Direct key personnel in the ordering of supplies, medications, and equipment.
- Develop effective staffing schedules and promote optimal utilization of patient care personnel with the assistance of the RN Lead for PC/UC.
- Collaborate with the manager of nursing in granting absence requests.
- Manage the performance of staff according to policies of the U of M and Boynton Health.
- Ensure nursing staff have the skills and supervision to provide safe, quality care appropriate to their assigned roles.
- Ensure staff documentation meets quality standards and requirements
- Perform annual review of nursing staff
Assist the Directors of Boynton Health in clinic management.
- Work with Human Resources and Quality Assurance to assure compliance with University of Minnesota, Federal, and State policies and mandates.
- Works in collaboration with Nurse Manager of civil service employees
- Co-direct weekly nursing meetings to improve communication, receive staff input and provide in-service education.
- Enforce staff adherence to OSHA guidelines including (but not limited to) BBPE and MERTKA.
- Oversee medical and pharmaceutical supplies in their assigned areas.
- Maintain attendance records for nursing staff.
- Coach staff when attendance expectations are not met.
- Work with the manager of nursing and/or other departments, as needed, to develop or re-engineer clinical areas or workflows.
- Collaborate with clinical leadership members
- Represent the nursing department or BH on various committees as assigned.
Work within the assigned clinical area to be knowledgeable of the area and readily available to assigned nursing personnel.
- Make patient care observations and assessments; interpret collected data to identify patient's health needs and options.
- Plan and deliver competent nursing care specific to the assigned clinical area.
- Perform delegated medical treatments under the supervision of clinician.
- Document information in accordance with policies of confidentiality and compliance.
- Provide culturally competent health education and counseling.
- Computer literacy, including but not limited to data entry, retrieval, and report generation
Coordinate patient care service dependent on assigned area (which includes the following):
- Coordinate/participate in quality improvement projects.
- Coordinate or collaborate with the other Nurse Manager for care of patients in Urgent Care, Gynecology, Primary Care Preventive Medicine and Internal Medicine, Allergy Clinic, Nurse Visits, St. Paul Clinic
- Monitor and maintain emergency process procedures, equipment and medications in clinical areas.
- Coordinate telephone and walk-in triage process of patients.
Employee Conduct and Behavioral Expectations. The employee will support the mission, vision and values of Boynton Health (BH) by:
- Promoting teamwork and cooperation to create an environment that maximizes efficiency and satisfaction.
- Embracing integrity, good judgment and creative initiative
- Treating patients and others with respect, courtesy and compassion
- Exhibiting courteous and professional behavior in all interactions with the public and co-workers.
- Participating in open communication and mutual education with peers and direct reports
- Displaying flexibility in accepting, changing, or carrying out assignments
- Adhering to dress code expectations
- Demonstrating sensitivity in a multicultural environment
- Working independently and/or collaboratively as necessary
- Demonstrating continuous self-improvement and professional growth
- Maintaining confidentiality of clinical and personnel information
- Directing all performance related issues with staff in primary care clinical areas
- Dealing with conflict in a respectful manner
Other duties as assigned.
About the Department
About Boynton Health, Nursing
Boynton Health, a nationally recognized leader in college health, is transforming health and academic success for students. Our mission is to create a healthy community by working with students, faculty and staff to achieve physical, emotional and social well-being. Boynton provides comprehensive health care to students, faculty and staff. Boynton conducts significant outreach efforts including student-led health promotion in the areas of sexual health, nutrition and stress management. It conducts a comprehensive survey of college students to give postsecondary institutions a look at the health of their students. And it conducts community-based public health initiatives to support the health of everyone on campus.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.