Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job plus two (2) years of experience.
- Experience may substitute for education for up to (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Notes to Applicants
This position will work with public safety individuals at Austin Police, Austin Fire, EMS and Homeland Security. They will research, analyze, and document public safety business application processes and requirements in support of information technology implementations. The position shall support Project Managers and Public Safety Agencies in requirements gathering, business analysis, and documentation of business processes. This candidate should be forward-thinking, analytical, security minded, methodical, and a good communicator with strong problem-solving skills.
About the Department:
The City of Austin Communication and Technology Management ( CTM ) Department provides and empowers the City's business partners and Austin's residents, visitors and businesses with sustained, reliable and efficient technology services, infrastructure and telecommunications. Leveraging state-of-the-art tools, innovative methods and strategic partnerships, we are at the center of shaping the City of Austin's IT strategy.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered. Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered. Describe your specific experience for each position. Include all job duties, responsibilities, and employment dates.
- A résumé is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
Statements such as "see resume" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application. Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes. The responses to the supplemental questions should reference the employment history listed in the employment history section. Once the requisition has closed, the application cannot be changed to update work history, supplemental questions, or any other information. We reserve the right to verify high school and college education for the top candidate(s).
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
An assessment(s) may be administered as part of the interview process.
This position will require a Criminal Background Check.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Monday - Friday.
8:00AM - 5:00PM.
Hours may vary depending upon business needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting Reserved for City Employees
Department Communication & Tech Mgmt
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 6800 Burleson Rd Suite 265
- Experience gathering business and technical requirements for public safety agency technology implementations.
- Experience eliciting requirements, creating business requirements documents and business process mapping.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Partner with decision makers, system owners and end users to define business, financial and operations requirements and systems goals
2. Lead requirements gathering sessions to elicit requirements, specifications, business processes and recommendations related to potential IT solutions
3. Create more complex models, use cases, process flows, specifications, diagrams and charts to provide direction to developers, designers, and vendors
4. Develop statement of work for use in requests for proposals
5. Evaluate compatibility and interoperability of commercial off-the-shelf or in-house technology systems
6. Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems
7. Perform cost-benefit and return-on-investment analyses to aid in making IT business decisions
8. Conduct research on software and hardware products and technology services to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts
9. Write and deliver reports, recommendations, or alternatives that address existing and potential trouble areas in IT applications across the organization
10. Coordinate and perform tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems, training and other post-implementation support
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of concepts and principles of application programming, database and system design including Internet and network architectures
• Knowledge of legacy and web-based systems interfaces
• Knowledge of importing data for use in report software, spreadsheets, graphs and flow charts
• Knowledge of cost-benefit analysis and total cost of ownership modeling
• Skill in performing requirements development, process modeling, reporting and project management tools
• Skill in developing process models and data flow diagrams using industry-standard modeling techniques
• Ability to accurately identify/determine customer needs and take appropriate actions and/or steps to address identified needs
• Ability to recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures in achieving organizational goals
• Ability to gain and maintain the trust and confidence of others and the organization through consistency and reliability
• Ability to give, receive, or share thoughts, ideas, perspective, and data to create shared understanding
• Ability to define, analyze, and find solutions for difficult or complex problems
• Skill in selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new concepts
• Ability to view the big picture
• Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies
• Ability to identify trends as well as isolated events
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for this position are Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job plus two (2) years of experience. Experience may substitute for education for up to (4) years. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* Please describe how you meet these minimum qualifications. Please detail how you meet the educational requirements (if applicable), account for the years of related experience (if applicable), and explain any substitutions of experience for education, or vice-versa (if applicable).
(Open Ended Question)
* Are you a current City of Austin employee?
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background check (CBI)?
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* Do you have experience gathering business and technical requirements for public safety agency technology implementations?
* What experience do you have gathering business and technical requirements for public safety agency technology implementations? In your answer please include which position(s) on your application where you gained this experience, how many years and detail what specific role you played. If you do not have this experience, please put N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have experience eliciting requirements, creating business requirements documents and business process mapping?
* Please describe your experience eliciting requirements, creating business requirements documents and business process mapping. In your answer please include which position(s) on your application where you gained this experience, how many years and detail what specific role you played. If you do not have this experience, please put N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents