Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
• Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
• Related experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
- Valid Texas Class C Driver's License at the time of hire and maintain during employment, as necessary for position.
This position provides HIV Focused Testing and Outreach throughout
Austin/Travis County and conducts communicable disease testing and counseling, community education, clinical coverage, program social media management, periodic mobile testing support, phone/hotline coverage, condom distribution, data entry and appointment scheduling. This position will primarily work with local partners in a community setting.
This position requires a valid Texas Driver's Class C License, and is required at the time of hire and maintain during employment, as required by position. This position must travel between various locations as a part of the regular job duties and the individual may be required to drive a City vehicle. A driving record veriﬁcation will be conducted. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin's Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
A detailed, complete City of Austin employment application is required to evaluate your qualifications. Please be thorough in completing the employment application and list all experience that is relevant to this position.
- The application and resume must include dates (month and year) for each job history entry. In addition, the resume information must match the information on the application. Please describe your specific experience as it relates to the minimum and preferred qualifications when responding to the supplemental questions on the application.
- Work experience listed must include month, year and a verifiable Supervisor or Human Resources phone number. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Each individual who submits an Application as provided in the Municipal Civil Service Rules and meet the Minimum Qualifications for a Competitive Position shall be considered a Candidate for that Position. Employees, in Good Standing, who are Candidates within the Department or division that the Position resides in and who meet the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications (if any) of the Position will be included in the initial interview.
- The responses to the supplemental questions should reference the employment history listed in the employment history section. Once the requisition has closed, the application cannot be changed to update work history, supplemental questions, or any other information.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position comes with a comprehensive benefits package consisting of medical and dental coverage, paid sick, vacation, and personal time, and a retirement plan.
If you are selected to interview:
- Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference
- This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation ( CBI ).
- If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, which may include High School graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
Electronic Notification to Applications:
- Applicants will be notified via e-mail to communicate important information related to the status of their application as part of an ongoing effort to increase operational efficiency, promote a green environment and minimize delays and costs.
- Please ensure that the email address and contact information you provide is current, secure and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our emails or fail to check your inbox in a timely manner
- When public health responds to an emergency you may be assigned activities that are outside your regular job description. This may involve responding at any time, including nights and weekends with possible deployment to locations other than the Austin Public Health.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. Please note that the Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
- All Austin Public Health worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any Austin Public Health worksite - including parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
$17.38 - $21.72
Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Some evenings and weekends are required.
Work Schedule is provided in advance.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Austin Public Health
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
RBJ Health Center - 15 Waller St, Austin, Tx 78702
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with community outreach and engagement.
- Awareness of Communicable Diseases which include HIV and STI's.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Effective time management, critical thinking, and decision making
- Ability to work independently.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Counsel individuals on prevention of communicable diseases e.g. HIV , STIs, TB, etc.
- Conduct fact-finding and/or informational interviews.
- Refer citizens to appropriate agency or program.
- Answer citizen questions and provide assistance.
- Conduct public health investigations as required by position.
- Counsel physicians, laboratories, clinics, etc. about disease reporting requirements
- Research information as requested and/or needed.
- Perform program-specific outreach activities such as TB/ HIV / STI education, testing and counseling.
- Perform phlebotomy and specimen collection.
- Compile data/information and prepare reports.
- Some positions may require employee to meet patients at home, work or elsewhere to administer medications or perform testing, as needed.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of general public health programs, specifically those related to communicable diseases.
• Skill in oral and written communications, especially interviewing techniques.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with City employees and the public.
• Skill in recording data from interviews and investigations accurately.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this position? • Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job. • Experience may substitute for education for up to (4) years
* Briefly describe outreach experience working with hard-to-reach or traditionally underserved populations.
(Open Ended Question)
* This position requires working evenings and weekends on a rotating basis. Are you available to work evenings and weekends?
* This position requires a Valid Texas Class C Driver's License at time of hire and maintain during employment, as required by position. Do you have a Valid Texas Class C Driver's License or if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a Valid Texas Class C Driver's License by your hire date?
* The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
* This position requires traveling to various sites around the City of Austin. Can you provide transportation to travel on City of Austin business by the start of your employment?
* Due to working in high risk areas, applicants applying for this position must comply with the departments immunization policy as a condition of employment. Can you meet this requirement?
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background check (CBI)?
* In the prior twelve months have you been employed by, owned any interest in, or been an officer or board member, for any business entity, including a non-profit organization, that is transacting any business with the City of Austin, including a recipient of any contracts, grants, or any funds of any kind from the City of Austin?
If you answered yes to the previous question, please explain below.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Optional Documents Resume