|University of Kentucky
University of Kentucky
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
Posting DetailsJob TitleSTEPS Animal Care AssociateRequisition NumberTE08004Department Name40832:Laboratory Animal ResourcesWork LocationLexington, KYSalary Range$15.25/hourType of PositionTemporaryPosition Time Status Full-TimeRequired Education
High school diploma or GEDRequired Related Experience
n/aRequired License/Registration/CertificationPhysical Requirements
Must be able to stand for long periods, ability to walk to various locations on campus in a timely manner. Requires heavy lifting, pushing or pulling of objects over 50 pounds; Able to work in hot, wet areas and wear personal protective clothing; animal handling (including carcasses); exposure to temperature extremes.Shift
Monday – Friday; 7:00 am – 3:30 pm (40 hours per week)Job Summary
The Division of Laboratory Animal Research seeks motivated individuals for a Animal Care Associate STEPS position. After 6 months of satisfactory performance and training you may also be eligible for a full-time University of Kentucky staff position or continue as a STEP’s employee. After 12 months you have the potential to become certified as an Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician through AALAS, a membership association of professionals employed around the world in academia, government, and private industry who are dedicated to the humane care and treatment of laboratory animals, as well as the quality research that leads to scientific gains that benefit people and animals.Skills / Knowledge / Abilities
You will be trained in routine and specialized animal caretaking duties, including:
1. Safe handling of multiple species of animals including: mice, rats, pigeons, dogs and non-human primates.
2. Feeding and watering animals according to their prescribed diets.
3. Changing cages, cleaning pens or runs
4. Observing animals regularly during the day, noting and reporting any variances in eating, drinking or deviation from normal habits.
5. Observing and reporting changes in environmental parameters (i.e., temperature, humidity, lighting, etc.).
6. Assisting in maintaining records of animals such as: weight, health, food consumption.
You will also learn facility maintenance and sanitation procedures including:
1. Cleaning and sterilizing cages, equipment
2. Sanitizing supplies, animal rooms and procedure space
3. Operation and maintenance of washers and sterilizers to maintain proper working condition.
4. Efficient operational organization and flow of supplies and equipment throughout the facilities.
5. Assists in organizing feed, bedding and dry supplies in storage facilities
*If you are interested in full time position that could lead to a potential career in laboratory animal care.
Interested in Health Benefits? If working over 30 hours per week, on average, you will be eligible for medical/dental/vision plans offered at UK.
Microsoft office, basic computer skills. Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team is essential. Strong attention to detail. Oral and written communication skills also required.Does this position have supervisory responsibilities? NoPreferred Education/Experience
Previous animal care experienceDeadline to Apply03/06/2024University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all - identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).